Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Must try recipe. Easy to make and taste great too. Serve hot with jam or marmalade.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup sweet cream-style corn
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celcius.
- Line 8" pan and grease base and side with melted butter.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir in milk, oil, egg and cream corn.
- Mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Served warm.
I needed a quick, easy cornbread that could bake simultaneously with a casserole, and this fit the bill! I used a whole can of creamed corn. I halved the sugar, but next time I will probably leave it out entirely and sub a little extra corn meal. With those changes it made a very cake-like cornbread.
I made this tonight with dinner and we really liked it! I also added extra corn, but that's the only change I made. I'll definitely make this again! Thanks!
Easy as anything, and delicious to boot! I didn't have any cream-style corn (not a can to be found in this country) so I just whirled a can of corn in the food processor. It made more than the 1/3 cup called for, but I tossed it in anyway. It only improved the recipe, in my opinion, extra-corny. I also used soy milk because I did not want this to be dairy. I served it as a side dish with some gravy-ful chicken, and it sopped up that gravy beautifully! I can't wait to try it again, this time with some onions and red peppers, lightly sauted until soft and then mixed in. Thanks for a winner!