Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
I stumbled across this idea one day when I had too much pie dough from a the new ready-made roll up Pillsbury pie dough (from the refridgerated section at your grocer). I love it because it is so versatile...stuff it with crab mix or cheese/sausage to get a whole new recipe. Makes an excellent party snack! So easy and good! WARNING: Pan will be messy due to the topping and the butter/sugar stuffing melting. I spray liberally using nonstick spray and I prefer Nonstick foil to line the pan when I have it. Don't try to unroll pie crust without nuking first because it will break apart. Pillsbury Pie dough is more flaky than generic and turns out better product. Prep time is only 10 minutes, tops.
- 2 pieces pillsbury refridgerated pie dough (1 package)
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 6 tablespoons of packed dark brown sugar or 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, to taste (or cake spice)
- 1 -2 tablespoon of fine-mid processed pecans or 1 -2 tablespoon walnuts
For Sweet Gooey Sauce on Top
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar or 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (or cake spice)
- 3 tablespoons of mid-processed pecans or 3 tablespoons walnuts
- Preheat oven according to package directions for pie crust (usually 400-425) and position rack so you can use the center of your oven.
- Take 6 TB of softened butter or margarine and process or cream with 6 TB of packed brown suger+ 1 tsp of cinnamon and pinch of nutmeg or cake spice OPTIONAL: add 1-2 TB fine-mid processed pecans or walnuts.
- Soften Pie Crust according to package directions by nuking in microwave a few seconds and unroll onto your clean surface.
- Spread 1/2 of creamed mixture onto each pie crust then roll back up as before.
- With a sharp knife, cut roll into 1/2" or desired width of segments end-to-end. The roll will be difficult to cut after cooking without smashing the filling out as the slices are made.
- Spray glass casserole dish liberally with nonstick spray (better to use nonstick foil) and lay each mini roll on dish one deep, leaving 1/4" between each mini roll.
- Prepare sauce, if desired, by melting all ingredients together in microwave. Sauce can also be reserved for dipping. Doing so will result in less mess in pan.
- Pour over top of mini rolls.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes in oven.
- They will be a little sticky inside when done and some filling will have leaked out.
These sounded alright, but mine just made a HUGE mess all in my pan. If i make them again, i'll put wax paper down. And they were really really small so I will probably fold the pie dough in half and roll the dough to make them thicker and wait to ut them until after they have been baked. I like the pie crust idea though!