A quick and surprising good tasting 'instant' posole that fills the bill and doesn't take a lot time and effort but I thought it came out pretty close considering how little goes into it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean pork, cut into stew-meat sized pieces
- 1 large onion, roughly cut medium small
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans hominy, drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 6 cups water
- 1Place stew-sized chunks of raw pork, rough cut onion, drained hominy, spices, Tabasco sauce and two cups of water in a large microwaveable bowl large enough to hold the ingredients.
- 2Microwave until pork is cooked completely through, Time of cooking depends on your microwave's power.
- 3Remove bowl with cooked ingredients from microwave and stir in the tomato sauce, chicken bouillon and the remaining.
- 4water (about 4 cups) or until posole is the right consistency according to your taste. Stir to blend in the newly added ingredients.
- 5Place back in microwave and reheat until hot. Note: If finished posole comes out with too much fat on top, you might want to let it all cool down then chill and skim the fat off the surface and re-heat before serving. It all depends on how much fat the pork had which you used.
- 6Posole is usually eaten with the traditional accompanying condiments prepared beforehand according to taste. Usually shredded lettuce, shredded radish, chopped cilantro, lime or lemon juice, your favorite salsa; even cubed Monterey Jack cheese or diced avocado.
- 7This quick and easy-to-prepare posole comes out amazingly well considering how little time is spent in preparation. The only downside is possible greasiness if the pork has much fat on it. I suggest chilling it first in the refrigerator, then removing fat before serving it if you don't do well with posole that has visible fat on top of it. This soup is also delicious served with warm tortillas, corn or flour.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Microwave Posole
Serving Size: 1 (1015 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 731.3
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 134.3 mg
- Sodium 2285.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.2 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 58.8 g