Recipe by zeldaz51
From Frances Moore Lappe's classic "Diet for a Small Planet". Serve with a salad with an avocado in it for a light meal, or serve it as a side. Using dark colored beans (kidneys or black beans) adds color contrast. Prep time does not include cooking the beans.
- 1⁄2 cup dry beans
- 4 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 green pepper, diced (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup grated monterey jack cheese or 1⁄3 cup other cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sliced black olives
- chopped fresh onions, and (optional) or tomatoes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beans in extra water; drain, reserving 3/4 Celsius of the cooking liquid, Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in an ovenproof skillet and saute onion and garlic until onion is translucent. Remove half the onion and garlic to a bowl and add the cooked beans, reserved bean liquid, egg, remaining 2 tbsp.oil, cornmeal, baking powder, chili powder, cumin, green pepper, and salt. Mix well and put into the skillet on top of the remaining cooked onions. Do not stir, the onion should remain on the bottom.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Just before it is done, sprinkle with grated cheese and olives, and continue baking until cheese melts. Garnish before serving.