Recipe by alijen
They make a nice switch from more traditional meatball recipes easier to make. Recipe calls for day-old corn bread or corn muffins. If you do not have stale corn bread or muffins, crumble fresh muffins or bread and toast at 250 degrees for 15 minutes to dry out the crumbs slightly. Serve alone with toothpicks and napkins or with tortillas and extra cheese!
- 2 cups day old corn muffins, crumbled or 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey (not turkey breast, too dry) or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 20 ounces mild or medium enchilada sauce, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces shredded Mexican blend cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the cornbread, ground turkey or beef, 1/2 cup sauce, and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl.
- Form the mixture into cocktail sized meatballs and place on a large jelly roll pan or baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until browned and cooked through, shaking the pan a few times to allow the meatballs to brown evenly.
- While the meatballs are heating, heat the remaining sauce until piping hot.
- Place the meatballs in a chafing dish, crockpot, or saucepan over low heat.
- Add the sauce and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and serve.