1/2 Photos of Easy Mexican Mac and Cheese
2 hrs 5 mins
Creamy, cheesy, spicy...and cooks up easily in your crockpot even if you don't have a kitchen. At your desk at work? Yes! Anywhere with an electrical outlet! This is not one of those "dump and go" recipes as you can't leave your crockpot unattended, but a tastier alternative to boxed mac and cheese. It is not, however, better texture or taste than from-scratch mac and cheese on the stove. This recipe was created for a crockpot cooking contest and truthfully, you will love it even more it you make the recipe in a pot on the stove. You can always transfer to a crockpot for party-style serving. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces penne pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 cup mexican lager beer (such as Corona)
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 10 ounces rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies (not drained)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 12 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, cubed (I used one and a half 8 oz. blocks of KRAFT Natural Pepper Jack)
- 1SPRAY crockpot with cooking spray.
- 2DUMP pasta, then all other ingredients (except garnishes) in your crockpot.
- 3COOK ON HIGH for at least 45 minutes without disturbing; from that point on, stir every half hour or so, checking to see if the pasta is done (based on the reviews it can take anywhere between 45 minutes and two hours). When your pasta is cooked, proceed to Step #4.
- 4SERVE -- topped generously with green onions and crushed tortilla chips! Be sure to turn off the crockpot or switch to the warm setting, so the pasta doesn't get mushy.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Mexican Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.1
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 20.9 g
- Cholesterol 107.2 mg
- Sodium 701.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 22.6 g