Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Something with ingredients everyone can find, and you can pot-luck it too. Serve it with other food in a meal or make it a snack meal on it's own.
- In a stand-up mixer, or by hand, mix the 2 packages of cornbread mix and 3 cups of water until blended.
- Add the heaping tablespoons of cottage cheese, blend a little more.
- Add the green chiles and cream corn, blend well.
- In a Crisco greased #10 cast iron skillet pour half of the batter.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top, evenly.
- Carefully pour the remaining batter evenly over the cheese so it doesn't blend the cheese into the bottom half.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 35 to 45 minutes (35 works in my oven) until your cornbread is done. It will be moister and "heavier" than usual.
- Let it cool to a "warmer" touch, then turn out onto a large platter and slice into wedges like cake. I have to use a large piece of foil, my plates are not big enough. Then you can also just cover it with another piece of foil, take it with, and slice later.
- You can serve with a pat of butter on top if you like.
- Try adding crumbled bacon or some cooked crumbled Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage with the cheese layer for a lunchtime meal.
The flavor on this one was good, but I never could get it to cook through all the way. It stayed mushy in the middle even after cooling. I cooked for a full hour, but it never solidified.