Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a super-easy low fat vegetarian dish that takes only minutes to throw together, it makes a great light weeknight meal served with a small side salad, you can use stewed tomatoes in place diced and use black beans in place of kidney beans. Top this with low-fat sour cream and salsa.
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano (or to taste)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese (or use full-fat cheese)
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole and layer as follows, 4 tortillas (overlapping each other to cover the bottom of the dish, then half of the bean mixture, then half of the cheese.
- Repeat the layers.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese melts (do not over bake or the tortillas will become too soft).
- Top with low-fat sour cream and salsa.
I truly admire people that can create recipes like this one. I went in a few weeks ago and thought I could maybe find a few recipes to help me on my low fat journey. Through these lower fat and low fat recipes such as this one, I have lost 17 pounds in about 6 weeks. My hat is off to you Kitten, and I commend you for helping to make my journey, and I'm certain many other's, a shorter journey. This is a fantastic, flavorful recipe that will remain in my often made book. Thanks for this recipe!
ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!! TRUE! SO healthy for me too! Doubled spices like last review did suggest, Added jalepenos is what I like best! Added one small can of corn is does not digest great! Also added small can drained of capsicum...and used vanilla yogurt instead of sour cream as it all adds up, especially around the holiday season! THANKS!
I couldn't decide between red kidney beans or black beans, so I used both. It was hearty and "meaty" even without the meat! None of the boys complained about having no meat. The mixture seemed dry, so I added an 8 oz can of tomato sauce. I also doubled the cumin and oregano. Thanx for posting this easy meal! We'll be having this again.