Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a super-easy low fat vegetarian dish that takes only minutes to throw together, it makes a great light weeknight meal served with a small side salad, you can use stewed tomatoes in place diced and use black beans in place of kidney beans. Top this with low-fat sour cream and salsa.
Top Review by FLUFFSTER
I truly admire people that can create recipes like this one. I went in a few weeks ago and thought I could maybe find a few recipes to help me on my low fat journey. Through these lower fat and low fat recipes such as this one, I have lost 17 pounds in about 6 weeks. My hat is off to you Kitten, and I commend you for helping to make my journey, and I'm certain many other's, a shorter journey. This is a fantastic, flavorful recipe that will remain in my often made book. Thanks for this recipe!
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano (or to taste)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese (or use full-fat cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole and layer as follows, 4 tortillas (overlapping each other to cover the bottom of the dish, then half of the bean mixture, then half of the cheese.
- Repeat the layers.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese melts (do not over bake or the tortillas will become too soft).
- Top with low-fat sour cream and salsa.