Recipe by Zurie
This is not my original recipe -- but I did tweak it. It is a recipe by talented local food editor, Barbara Joubert, of Sarie (a popular Afrikaans woman's magazine). Her recipes are usually very practical, economical and easy. This is a fat meatball, which she called "a burger without the bun". I added some extra seasoning and used an organic (shop-bought) guacamole because no ripe avo's were available. Serve as a main, or in a bun if you like. We use metric weights and measures, but I give the American equivalents in brackets.
- 500 g pork sausages (2 lbs 2 oz approx., real British-style pork bangers)
- 500 g ground beef (2 lbs 2 oz approx, don't use very lean ground, just ordinary ground beef)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (red is nicest but I used a sweet onion)
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, fresh (can use dried as well)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (usually 1 lemon, I used a tablespoon)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or other hot sauce) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (any you like)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 egg, large
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (for frying, use more if necessary)
- 250 g guacamole (8 oz, make your own or buy ready-made)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the pork sausage meat from the skins, and mix with the ground beef with a fork or your hands, but do not compress too much.
- Set oven at 180 deg C or 350 deg F, while you prepare the onion, zest, etc.
- Add the finely-chopped onion, thyme, lemon zest, chopped garlic, hot sauce. Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt and pepper. (Mix in the ingredients as you add them).
- Break in the egg. Mix in well, until ingredients are well incorporated.
- Use a utensil which can go on both your hob and also into the oven. (The new kind of non-stick black stoneware is absolutely amazing, otherwise use an oven-safe skillet).
- Heat the pan well and add the olive oil. Form 6 - 8 fat, generous meatballs, and fry on both sides until nicely browned but not done.
- Put the pan or dish with the meatballs in the pre-heated oven, and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes longer.
- Serve with large blobs of guacamole, and salad ingredients. Or use as a main meat dish with veggies and salad.