Recipe by Debbie Stewart
From the Seattle P-I. Takes only an hour and makes great leftovers. I like to toast sourdough bread to dip in it.
Top Review by Donna Elicker
This is a tasty soup,with a very easy prep time.I did find, that I ran out of meatballs quickly when I made this for a large group. I added macaroni to the broth that was left and had another meal instantly.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 tablespoons rice
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons black pepper
- 6 cups water
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 can chopped tomato
- Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup minced parsley
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pot combine the water, bouillon cubes, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, green onions, green pepper, carrots and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered 30 minutes.
- Mix the meat, uncooked rice, 1 beaten egg, paprika, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Form into 1 inch balls.
- Add the meatballs to the broth, bring to a boil again, then lower heat and simmer, still covered, 30 minutes or until the meat is cooked and the rice is soft.
- Add parsely and Tobasco sauce to taste.
- Just before serving, beat the second egg with the lemon juice.
- Stir two teaspoonsful of hot soup into the lemon mixture, then stir this mixture back into the soup pot.