Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I got this idea from reading some of the meatball recipes on Recipezaar. I needed a very easy recipe and this came together as I shopped in Sam's Club for the frozen Italian meatballs. They come in a 6-pound bag. The bread comes in a bag of 4 loaves, frozen. You can also use fresh French bread and put butter and garlic powder on it, then warm it in the oven for several minutes. I prepared the bread, froze it, then put it in a 375 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes out of the freezer and it came out great.
- 3 lbs meatballs, frozen fully cooked
- 4 (28 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce (Bertolli)
- 1 -2 teaspoon italian seasoning (optional)
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 3 bay leaves (optional)
- 4 loaves garlic bread
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese or 2 cups parmesan cheese, shredded
- Put the meatballs in a large crockpot on high.
- Add the jars of spaghetti sauce. I like Bertolli brand.
- Add the additional seasonings and the bay leaves, if you so choose.
- Cook on high for one hour, turn down to medium or low and cook for several hours. If you don't have that much time, leave it on high and cook for 4 hours.
- Thaw the frozen bread about one hour before serving the meatballs (or just put it in a 375 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes straight out of the freezer).
- About 10 minutes before serving, put the loaves of bread in a 350-degree oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and slice the bread loaves horizontally, then into suitable slices big enough for open-face meatball sandwiches.
- Top sandwiches with choice of cheese.