Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A taste of India, fast, and easy. Serve with plain or spiced rice.
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 inch ginger, peeled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- Rinse lentils thoroughly and place in a medium saucepan along with ginger, turmeric, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Cover with about 1 inch of water and bring to a boil.
- Skim off any foam that forms on top of the lentils.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender and soupy.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave safe dish combine oil, dried onion and cumin seeds.
- Microwave on high for 45 seconds to 1 minute; be sure to brown, but not burn, onions.
- Stir into lentil mixture.
we enjoyed this. i grated the ginger (it just says peeled) and added 4 cloves of minced garlic. I was a bit leery of the microwave instructions, but followed them and it worked. This was a nice dal which my husband and i both enjoyed.