Redneck Epicurean's Note:
I bought some of the roasted garlic potatoes at the salvage store and got a great price on them. However, when I made the first two packages, I had to figure out how to jazz them up. I found this recipe online and even though sometimes leave out the bell pepper (I freeze the ones my pop grows in the garden because I'm usually the only one who uses them), this casserole is delicious either way. I have also used a regular onion in place of the green onion and added have considered adding bacon. This inexpensive dish is also great for a potluck.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 cup half-and-half cream (may sub in whole milk)
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick) or 1/4 cup margarine (1/2 stick)
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) box betty crocker instant roasted garlic mashed potatoes (2 pouches)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Heat oven to 350°F
- 2Spray 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- 3In a nonstick skillet, melt 2 teaspoons butter over medium-high heat.
- 4Cook onions and bell pepper in butter 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- 5Remove from heat; set aside.
- 6In 2-quart saucepan, heat water, half-and-half and 1/4 cup butter to boiling; remove from heat.
- 7Stir in both pouches of potatoes (and seasoning) just until moistened.
- 8Let stand about 1 minute or until liquid is absorbed.
- 9Beat with fork until smooth.
- 10Spoon 1 1/3 cups of the potatoes into casserole; top with half of the onion mixture and 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- 11Spoon another 1 1/3 cups potatoes over cheese; carefully spread to cover.
- 12Sprinkle evenly with remaining onion mixture.
- 13Top with remaining potatoes; carefully spread to cover.
- 14Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
- 15Bake uncovered about 30 minutes or until hot.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Mashed Potato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.0
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 51.2 mg
- Sodium 223.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 8.7 g