Recipe by Deb's Recipes
A simple and flavorful marinara sauce that can be used instead of store-bought spaghetti sauce. I like it served hot over cooked pasta and topped with fresh-grated Parmesan cheese.
Top Review by Julieannie
Absolutely superb! I opted to add in some carrots to mine for some extra vegetable and added a dash of red pepper to the batch I made as pizza sauce. The base alone is perfect for pasta but I like to make a double batch to freeze and use for many dishes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- hot pasta
- fresh-grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, sauté garlic and onion in olive oil until onion is tender.
- Stir all remaining ingredients in with onion mixture; heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully puree hot sauce in in a food processor or blender; serve hot over cooked pasta and top with fresh-grated Parmesan cheese.