Recipe by Stars-n-Atoms
These wings are a Big Hit, Everyone gobbles them up. They are so easy to make and are perfect for BBQ's and Potlucks. They are called mahogany chicken wings, because after cooking, they turn a deep mahogany color from the caramelized marinade coating. Don't shy away from the spices, they add flavor and not too much heat. Enjoy!
Top Review by alligirl
I followed the recipe, as written, and was rewarded with some awesome wings! (I did sub fresh ginger for the powdered...)These were easy (in a ziploc bag) and sticky/sweet/fiery! There was a bit of heat, and it was delish! Thanks so much for sharing, Stars-n-Atoms! These have made it into 'wing rotation!' Made for Spring PAC 2010 - http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
- 30 chicken wings
- 1 1⁄2 cups soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup Chinese white rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice (1 small can)
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno jelly
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red chili-garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon powdered ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Prep chicken wings. Rinse in cold water, pat dry with paper towel, and trim tips. If you desire split wings into drum and wing, to extend portions.
- Mix all ingredients, except the chicken, together to prepare marinade.
- Add chicken to marinade and stir until evenly coated.
- Let chicken marinade in mixture at least one hour but for best flavor marinade over night or up to 48 hours. Place in refrigerator while marinading.
- Place chicken in roasting pan spooning a little of the marinade over the wings, there should only be about 1/8 of an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pan. Not too much liquid or the wings will fall apart.
- Cook in 375°F oven for 1 hour.
- flip wings and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Let cool a bit before eating.
- *You can do this recipe in advance and when done cooking put in a crock pot to be re-heated later. Great for BBQ's and Pot-Lucks.