Recipe by **Jubes**
A classic French madeleine. Lovely for a morning or afternoon tea to share with a friend. You will need a madeleine pan for this recipe.
Top Review by Outta Here
Rich! Sweet! Buttery! Sinful! What can I say but yum. Wouldn't be able to have these often and definitely not while on a diet, but for a special treat they are perfect. I made a couple of changes. Cut recipe in half and got 1 pan full (12) and used ground hazelnuts instead of almonds.
- 210 g unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour or 1⁄2 cup blended gluten-free plain flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds (almond meal)
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 180°C or 160°C if you have a fan-forced oven.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Brush your madeleine mold with a little of the melted butter using a pastry brush and dust the mold lightly with some extra flour (use gluten-free if required). Shake off any excess flour and set aside.
- Cook the rest of the butter for about 5 minutes, until the butter turns a golden brown and gives off a nutty aroma. Be careful not too burn the butter!
- Remove the butter from heat and transfer to ceramic bowl to prevent butter cooking further. Set aside to cool.
- Sift the icing sugar and flour into a medium sized bowl. Then stir in the ground almonds/ almond meal.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggwhites until frothy.
- Add the almond and sugar mixture to the eggwhites and whisk to combine. Whisk in the brown butter and honey.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared moulds, filling almost to the top.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until madeleines are light golden and springy to touch. If using gluten-free flour, they may be a very light colour when cooked- really depends on the blend of flours that is in your vlended flour mixture.
- Allow to cool slightly- about ten minutes and remove from the mould by tapping on hard surface. Then cool them on a wire rack.
- Serve with some whipped cream and fresh strawberries for a special treat or 1/2 of each madeleine can be dipped in melted chocolate.
- For a simple presentation- dust lightly with some extra icing sugar.