Recipe by Kree
A delicious alternative to regular mac 'n cheese! This recipe can be dairy-free if you use soy margarine, and it tastes just as good as the original!
Top Review by love4culinary
I really enjoyed this, and was really happy to find it as I wasnt sure how to go about making mac cheese with soy cheese. I definitely needed the salt and black pepper, but it was very good overall. I had to add a bit of milk because it did get a bit too thick, but other than that all worked out well :-) Very yummy... might add broccoli or some veggie next time for spunk! :-) Thanks Kree!!! my dairy-free buddy!!!
- 8 ounces macaroni (or another pasta of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons soy margarine (or other dairy-free margarine)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup soymilk
- 4 -8 ounces soy cheddar cheese (I recommend Veggie Shreds from Galaxy Foods)
- additional soymilk
- salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni in boiling water, according to package directions.
- While the pasta is boiling, melt margarine in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour until bubbly.
- Slowly add 1 cup soy milk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly (a whisk works well).
- If the sauce does not thicken, add another Tbsp of flour.
- If using cheese that is not already shredded, grate cheese.
- Add slowly, stirring until the sauce thickens and you get the consistency you desire.
- I recommend using the full 8 oz of cheese!
- Add more soy milk if mixture gets too thick while stirring in the cheese.
- Add salt, if desired.
- Drain cooked pasta and mix in cheese sauce.
- Note: Many types of soy cheese, including Veggie Shreds, contain casein, a milk protein; if you want this to be completely dairy-free you'll need to use a vegan brand.