Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Why make the blue box stuff full of fillers and powdered neon cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated (for baking)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne or 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄2 lb dry pasta
- Heat oven to 350. Cook pasta according to pakage direction but stop 2-3 mins before pasta is fully cooked.
- While pasta is cooking, in a small saucepan on med high heat butter until bubbles stop forming, add butter and stir until it forms a paste, cook 3-4 mins until the butter is slightly golden. Warm milk in microwave until just below room temp(20c). Stirring quickly add milk slowly to the butter/flour mixture. Stir until completely smooth and small bubbles bubble on the surface. Stir in cheeses, salt and peppers until smooth. Keep sauce on low until ready to combine with pasta.
- Drain pasta and set aside 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Add enough sauce to coat pasta and depending on pasta's surface area you may have a little left over, if the sauce needed to be thinned a little add a bit of the pasta cooking water.
- Put the sauce pasta mixture in to an oven safe baking dish with a lid( or cover with tinfoil) and sprikle the additional parmasean over topcook covered 15-20 mins and uncovered 5-10 minutes.