Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Don't miss out on birthday cake-- but miss out on the saturated fat and calories! I used pourable egg whites for this recipe, if you use real eggs for this 2 to 2.5 egg whites will do fine. Regular pourable egg substitute like store-brand or EggBeaters also works. I used Corn Free Baking Powder - Elimination Diet for baking powder for added health quotient. The sunflower oil is Vitamin E rich and adds a nice clean taste to the batter. I'm sure lavender sugar would taste awesome in this and there is just enough sugar for sweetness but the cake isn't weighed down by it.
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 6 tablespoons applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- Whisk the oil, applesauce, and sugar together.
- Beat in the egg whites and vanilla.
- Sift the flour, salt (just 2-3 shakes), and baking powder together.
- Gradually beat it into the batter.
- Grease an 11 x 7 baking dish with cooking spray and lightly dust with flour, pour the batter into it and smooth it out before putting it in the oven.
- Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until a knife/cake tester comes out clean in the center.
- Wait for it to cool before frosting. Can be cut into about 3 rows of 4 pieces.
This cake turned out like a heavy corn bread in texture. The batter was very thick after adding the flour mixture rather than pouring consistency.