Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Granola can be low-fat? Yes, it can!
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts (I use walnut pieces)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup raw honey
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- Heat oven to 300°F.
- In large bowl combine dry ingredients. Slowly stir in the vanilla, honey and applesauce until combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly on a lightly sprayed baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Add in the cranberries, pressing them into the granola. (If you want the cranberries to cook and be a little firm, which the husband and I do, stir them in after 20 minutes. If you're like my brother, leave the cranberries out and add once the granola has cooked completely so they'll stay moist.) Continue cooking for a total of 30 minutes to an hour - stirring every 15 minutes - or until golden brown. If you stir less often, you'll have more clumps in your granola.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container or divide into individual portions. I divided my batch into 2-ounce servings, 8 servings in all.