Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 mins
I came up with this recipe after looking through several recipes for an easy low-fat sauce. This can easily be frozen.
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet onions (chopped)
- 2 cups mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 3 tablespoons Italian spices
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pour all ingredients in crock pot.
- Cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
- If using meatballs they can be cooked all day with sauce or added the last 2 hours.
- If freezing, cool sauce favorite way and put in containers to freeze.
This recipe is fabulous! I omitted the sugar and because I couldn't quite get my act together this morning (lol :)) cooked it on HIGH for 3 hours. I loved the mushrooms in it! I will definitely make this again. I served it with Turkey Meatballs and it went together perfectly. This recipe does make a TON of sauce, I think next time I might cut in half but I will enjoy it again & again. Thank you so much for sharing - it's a keeper!
I followed Rita's suggestion of first sauteing the onions, garlic and mushrooms, with some thyme. Because I love the combination of leeks with onions and garlic, I also added 2 leeks. I added salt and freshly ground black pepper, oregano, marjoram, rosemary, sage and a bit more thyme, and I used Aldi's Italian tomatoes. This such an easy recipe, and it was great to be able to just add the meatballs - I made diner524's German Meatballs - and forget about the whole dish. I do love good crockpot recipes. This is a really easy and flavoursome spaghetti sauce: I'll be making this again and again! Both to eat right away and to put in the freezer. I particularly love the fact that there is no tomato paste or other ingredients full of chemicals in this. Thank you again, MsSally, for a really fabulous recipe. Made for Every "DAY" Is A Holiday!
This sauce is really good, although I am not used to the sweetness of it that the sugar brings. I think next time I'll put in a little less sugar