Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was an experimental meal, but when my guys tasted it, they said it was a winner. Very quick and easy, suitable for beginning cooks. You can embellish this basic version however you choose by adding chopped green chilies, black olives, etc. I like to add fresh lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and salsa on top at serving time. 1/8 of the casserole is 7 WW points.
- 6 flour tortillas
- 2 (552.81 g) can cooked chicken, drained
- 297.66 g can low-fat condensed cream of chicken soup
- 177.44 ml water
- 35.43 g envelope taco seasoning mix
- 425.24 g can black beans, rinsed and drained or 425.24 g can chili beans, not drained
- 473.18 ml shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- lettuce, onions, tomatoes, salsa
- Grease a 9x13 pan with shortening or spray.
- In saucepan, add chicken, soup, water, taco seasoning, and black beans. Heat slowly and stir until heated through and bubbly.
- Cut tortillas into quarters.
- Cover the bottom of the 9x13 pan with about 1 cup of the chicken mixture.
- Piece half of the tortilla wedges, jigsaw-puzzle-like, so they cover the chicken mixture on the bottom of the pan.
- Spread half of the remaining chicken mixture on top of the tortillas.
- Spread 1 cup of the shredded cheese on top of the chicken mixture.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until heated through.
The original recipe was a little bland for me so I cut the beans in half and added jalapenos to give it some kick. Finished it off by pouring enchilada sauce on top right before the cheese. Perfection!
Made tonight for our 4 teenage daughters. They raved about it. Loved it with lettuce, onions, salsa and corn.
DE-licious! Love the flavor, that it's a well balanced casserole and that it's low in fat!! I added a can of corn to get more veggies in it, and I added chili powder & cumin for extra seasoning. YUMMMM! Thanks!