Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Simple, delicious and healthy soup! This is a wonderful use for leftover Thanksgiving turkey, or can be made with chicken breasts. Serve piping hot with freshly baked bread, rolls, or pumpkin muffins. Enjoy!
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock or 6 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup hulled barley
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 1 cup sliced celery (include leaves)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey breast or 2 cups cooked chicken breasts
- fresh snipped parsley, for garnish
- Combine the broth or water and the barley in a 3-quart pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the barley is almost tender.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion, bouillon granules, thyme, pepper and turkey to the pot. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the barley and vegetables are tender.
- Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, and serve hot garnished with fresh snipped parsley.
Easy and delicious! I added 1 tsp garlic powder and also subbed white pepper for the black pepper. It was great! This was a great recipe for the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. Will definitely use again!
Just made this because I was in a soup mood and had all the ingredients. Good choice! It is really tasty and super easy. I cooked it an extra 10 minutes with the veggies added because at 20 minutes the barley was still a little underdone for me, but the extra time was perfect. I recommend this soup!