Recipe by pengcognito
This recipe is loosely based on the marvelous peanut butter sandwich bread from 24/7 Low Carb Diner (http://247lowcarbdiner.blogspot.com/2011/03/mr-peanut-sandwich-bread.html). Amazingly, it's got no flour or even flour substitutes, yet makes a wonderfully muffin-y muffin. It's blueberry season, so I put blueberries in - if you are on a very low-carb fruitless diet, just leave them out. The muffins will still be yummy. I use stevia for a sweetener, but you can use other sweeteners to taste (honey works well, if you' re just doing gluten-free, not low carb.) If you use a granulated xylitol-based sweetener, dissolve it in a little bit of hot water first or it won' t blend in.
- 8 ounces smooth cashew butter or 8 ounces smooth almond butter or 8 ounces smooth peanut butter
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 12 -24 drops liquid stevia
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 pint blueberries (approximately) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional) or 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix eggs, nut butter, salt, baking soda, sweetener, flavoring, and seeds if you’re using them. You will probably need some sort of power tool as nut butters are hard to get to start to blend.
- Once you have a batter (it’ll be pretty thick) add the lemon juice and mix again.
- If you’re going to use blueberries, fill each cup of a greased muffin tin about 1/4 full of batter, add blueberries, then some batter on top.
- Otherwise fill cups 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 minutes at 275.