Prep 12 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Simple rice appams made without the usual yeast or coconut. Idli rice is a starchy rice which is parboiled with the husk on.Use that for the cooked rice if possible, otherwise any rice except basmati will do. It has been described as a dosa on the edges with an idli in the centre!
- 1 cup boiled rice (Uncooked-idli rice)
- 2 cups raw rice (not basmati)
- 1⁄2 cup urid dal
- 1 cup idli rice, cooked
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Soak the first 3 ingredients for 2 hours.
- Grind well with a little water, batter should be finer than dosa batter.
- Boil 1 Cup idli rice, cool and grind to a paste with a little water.
- Mix both together and keep in a warm place overnight to ferment.
- Add salt, soda and sugar and cook in an appam pan.
- To make the appam, grease the appam pan, pour a spoonful of batter into the hot pan and quickly swirl the pan so that the batter thinly spreads along the sides. Cover and cook till the edges are crispy and the thicker centre is cooked.