12 hrs 15 mins
Indian Cook's Note:
Simple rice appams made without the usual yeast or coconut. Idli rice is a starchy rice which is parboiled with the husk on.Use that for the cooked rice if possible, otherwise any rice except basmati will do. It has been described as a dosa on the edges with an idli in the centre!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak the first 3 ingredients for 2 hours.
- 2Grind well with a little water, batter should be finer than dosa batter.
- 3Boil 1 Cup idli rice, cool and grind to a paste with a little water.
- 4Mix both together and keep in a warm place overnight to ferment.
- 5Add salt, soda and sugar and cook in an appam pan.
- 6To make the appam, grease the appam pan, pour a spoonful of batter into the hot pan and quickly swirl the pan so that the batter thinly spreads along the sides. Cover and cook till the edges are crispy and the thicker centre is cooked.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Low Calorie Appams
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 729.8
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 203.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 162.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: