Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This was the first recipe my mom taught me - mostly so I could get it started before she would get home from work. It's so easy and yum! I always serve with plain white rice - the juice is great on it - and steamed broccoli.
- 6 -8 lbs whole chickens (any size would work though)
- 1 -2 lime
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried basil (more or less to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Squeeze juice of halved lime(s) all over chicken.
- Sprinkle liberally inside and out with basil.
- Put 1 or 2 lime halves into cavity.
- Cook approximately 30 minutes per pound, or until done.
- Spoon juice over.
so good and easy. I've been wanting to get a rotisserie to make roasting whole chickens easier...but, this was pretty easy without one. thanks for posting
Excellent recipe! I wish I'd found this one years ago. I know I wouldn't have the "whole chicken" phobia I do now if my first one had been this easy! :) So fast to prepare and using simple, on hand ingredients the flavors are outstanding. We'll be making this one again & again. Thanks so much for sharing this special family recipe, Wicked Cook! Made & enjoyed for Spring 2009 Pick A Chef.
What a fantastic recipe. So simply, with only two ingredients...not counting the chicken of course :), with tons of flavour. I love lime and basil, so this was perfect for our family. The meat was 'fall off the bone' tender and moist. Thanks Wicked Cook for a great meal. Made for Spring PAC 2009.