Recipe by Chef shapeweaver �
If you are looking for a way to fix lima beans besides boiling them in water try this recipe. I don't think you'll be sorry you tried them. :) If you want to have more of a buttery flavor,remove the beans from the liquid and place into a bowl then add the final 2 Tablespoons of butter and then salt and pepper to taste. I saw the basic recipe on allrecipes.com which was posted to that site by SharonB13.The name is the same as her's, but I changed a few things to the recipe and decided to post it under my own name.Submitted to Food.com ( A.K.A. ZAAR ) on March 20th.,2011
Top Review by glenna_west
These beans are the best!!! I change things up though. I throw everything in the crockpot. Limas, chicken broth, hamhocks, garlic, onion, and I add slices of green bell pepper. Cook all day (about 8 hours) and enjoy smelling until they are soft. Enjoy!!
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄8 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4-1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sized saucepan melt 2 Tablespoons margarine,then add onion and cook until soft.
- Add chicken broth, and bring to a boil.
- Then add the lima beans,let broth return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover beans, let simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After the beans are done DO NOT drain, add remaining margarine,salt, and pepper to taste.
- Then serve.