Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe on the Trader Joe's website, but since it didn't exactly fit my family's tastes, I changed it just a litte bit. Also, Sunday is the beginning of the work/school week here in Israel, so this is usually reserved for Friday morning, which is the start of our weekend. Actually, we have this more often for supper on a Thursday night. But I never heard Lionel Ritchie sing Easy Like Thursday Night, so Sunday morning it is.
- 1 loaf crusty bread, torn to bits
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- sweet paprika
- 1 cup vegetarian sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a baking pan (I use olive oil).
- Distribute the bread pieces evenly in the pan. In my house this means tossing to bowl into the pan and just patting everything into place.
- Beat the eggs with the milk. Add the salt, pepper, paprika and any other spices and herbs that float your boat. Beat again.
- Pour this over the bread. Aim for an even distribution.
- Toss the sausage pieces over the bread. Try to be fair and cover the whole dish evenly.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the whole thing. Again, aim for an even distribution.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Stick a knife in the center. If it comes out clean, your breakfast is done.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes until serving.
Mirj is my FAVORITE Balabusta I try a new recipe every week. This one didn't suit my family's taste:( My daughters didn't like the texture, perhaps it's because we added sour cream. I also added mushrooms and used mozzarella.
This was good as is! I made it again this morning and added 5 Morning Star Farms vegetarian breakfast strips cooked and crumbled in place of the vegetarian sausage, 2 sliced green onions, 5 white button mushrooms sliced, diced green chilies and a little bit of sour cream mixed with the milk. It was yummy too. Thanks for sharing this great recipe. It is so versatile and thats one of the things I like about it!