Recipe by Chef Jean
Here is a traditional Chinese lettuce wrap recipe made simple. It's best to use a food processor, but if you don't have one roughly chop ingredients by hand. Time does not include cooking the chicken.
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can bamboo shoots
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, unsalted
- 6 ounces chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package chicken-flavored ramen noodles
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1⁄4 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 -10 romaine lettuce leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel carrot, trim red pepper (remove the seeds and white pith parts), drain bamboo. Cut all into inch long pieces.
- Pulse carrot, pepper, bamboo, and peanuts in food processor until they are about small dice size(more like the texture of ground meat, not a paste). Remove to a seperate bowl.
- Pulse the ramen(save the seasoning for use later in recipe), cooked chicken, ginger and nutmeg until they are a similar size to the veggies(if it's not perfect don't worry, just don't way over or way under process). Remove this to the bowl with the veggies and stir well.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the veggie/ramen mixture to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small dish mix together the water, soy sauce, half the chicken flavored seaoning from the ramen and corn starch. Stir into the pan and continue to cook for about 5 more minutes or until the mixture has thickened. Season to taste with black pepper(I didn't need any more salt, but you might).
- Wash the lettuce leaves and trim off the very crispy bottom part. Serve the hot mixture in a large bowl and the lettuce on a plate. Each person can make there own wraps by spooning about 3tbls of the mixture into the lettuce leaf and rolling it like a burrito.