Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Light, fluffy lemon souffles that are low in calories, fat and carbs. Exchanges: 0.5 starch, 1 carb, 1 lean meat. Found this in the Spring 2013 Diabetic Living magazine. "The measure of achievement is doing something that you appreciate. I think of my souffle. I did that at least 28 times before I finally conquered it." --Julia Child
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute, sugar blend
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly coat six 8-ounce souffle dishes with nonstick cooking spray; place dishes on a baking sheet. Chill dishes.
- In a small saucepan stir together sugar, flour and 1/8 tsp salt. Whisk in milk and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium-low heat 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in peel. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl beat egg yolks with an electric mixer on medium to high speed 3 to 5 minutes or until thick and lemon color. Stir milk mixture into yolks to combine.
- Thoroughly wash beaters. In another large bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Gently fold egg whites into milk mixture. Divide batter among prepared dishes. Bake 20 minutes or until a knife inserted near centers comes out clean. If desired, sift powdered sugar over souffles. Serve immediately.