The ricotta cheese in the mix makes these muffins especially moist.
Make and share this Easy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Prepare muffin tins: grease or paper line one 12-cup and one 6-cup tin.
- Combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, ricotta, oil, poppy seeds and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat on medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tops spring back when touched lightly.
- Sprinkle tops with sugar, if desired.
- Note: For a variation, you may omit the poppy seeds, and substitute with 1 cup chopped almonds. You may also use an equal amount of yogurt as a substitute for the ricotta cheese.
I really loved these! The key is the ricotta. I'm sure yogurt would provide a similar product, but I used ricotta and thought they were awesome. The lemon flavor is actually fairly mild. I actually even put some lemon extract in and the lemon flavor was still mild, which I liked. I didn't add the poppy seeds just because I didn't have any and didn't want to make a trip to the store to get them. I didn't figure they'd add all that much to the final product. I also didn't add the sugar on top prior to baking either so even without those two ingredients, I still thought these were awesome. They were moist and dense. As another reviewer said, they did remind me of Otis Spunkmeyer muffins. I will definitely be making again. <br/><br/>While mixing, I did find the dough to be rather sticky and I wouldn't recommend mixing by hand. This dough definitely requires a hand-mixer at the very least. It's very thick and using an ice cream scoop made filling the muffin tin very easy...I made mini muffins. I'd been looking for a good lemon muffin recipe and this is definitely it!
Oh my these are good. DD#2 took these on her camping trip and they were gobbled up. I added a bit more lemon zest to really add the lemon flavor to them. So good. I think the ricotta in these really makes them moist and flavorful. Thank you for this wonderful muffin recipe, that I will keep in my repeat recipe file.
Absolutely wonderful even though I omitted the sugar on top, I felt they would be sweet enough. My entire family loved these, I personally think that these are right up there with the Otis Spunkmeyer muffins. I will definitely stock up on lemon cake mix for these! Next time I'm going to triple the recipe and put some in the freezer. Thanks so much for the recipe.