The ingredients are probably what you already have in your pantry. These lemon bars are pretty healthy - minimal on the flour and butter (except for the crust). It has a sweet cookie-like crust and the lemon on top seperates into two sweet, chewy layers. :] The top is kind of chewy and the bottom is like a sweet cookie so it reminds me of an ersatz cheesecake ;D
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar or 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup butter, the recipe book says 1/3 but I reduced it and it still comes out great
- 3 medium eggs or 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar or 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute, see butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons grated lemon rind (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice, make sure there aren't any seeds
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9x9 pan with nonstick spray and lightly flour.
- Mix flour, salt, and sugar together. Add butter and mix (or 'cut') until it clumps. I just squish it with my hands until the butter is evenly distributed and looks like breadcrumbs. Pat this baby evenly on the pan and bake about 15 minutes until the top appears dry and the edges are lightly brown. Cool on wire rack and reduce heat to 350.
- While you're waiting for crust, mix all the topping ingredients together (except the confectioner's sugar) and food processor/mix until well blended (it will be very liquid-like). Pour mixture on top of the prebaked crust and bake for about 15 - 17 minutes or until the top appears dry (it's normal if the center puffs up a bit). DON'T OVERCOOK, POR FAVOR!
- Cool for an hour. Sprinkle with a bit of confectioner's sugar if you wish. Cut into 25 squares. MAKE SURE YOU SHARE! :].