Recipe by Redsie
Fast, easy and delicious! You can make this recipe with different kinds of noodles and vegetables and also you can add more or less hot peppers (or Tabasco!) if you enjoy spicy food!
Top Review by WizzyTheStick
Added some garlic and onions to the meat mixture, some mushrooms, peas, corn, carrots and pineapple chunks (always trying to use more veggies). The end result was a really nice one pot casserole. A little less fussy than a true lasagna in that it lacked the layers but not the flavour. This was well recieved and will be made again and again and ...again!
- 3 cups penne or 3 cups rotini pasta or 3 cups other large pasta
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 (24 ounce) jarprepared pasta sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning (oregano or basil)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (17 ounce) container light ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta until tender but firm; drain.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat until browned. Add onions and carrots; cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in pasta sauce and Italian seasoning (oregano or basil). Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Set aside.
- To Assemble: Spread half of the meat mixture on bottom of greased 13x9-inch baking dish. Top with all of the pasta. Spread all of the cheese mixture over pasta. Top with remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven, uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes or until bubbling.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.