Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Developed for RSC #6, Winter 2005.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (or breasts)
- 4 -5 ounces raw spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 cup cashew pieces, lightly salted
- 2 medium red potatoes (about 3 inches long)
- 3 1⁄2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- salt (optional)
- pepper (optional)
- If chicken is not cut so that it can be laid out flat in the dish, cut it so it will, then cover bottom of 2 ½ quart baking dish with chicken pieces.
- Top chicken with spinach leaves, torn in pieces if large.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.
- Sprinkle cashew pieces over the spinach.
- Cut red potatoes in half lengthwise, then slice 1/4 to 3/8 inches thick (do not peel), then lay potato slices over top.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Place the shiitake mushroom slices over the potatoes.
- Top with shredded cheese and bread crumbs.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes in 350 degree oven, then uncover and bake 20-30 additional minutes, or until chicken and potatoes are tender when fork is stuck into them.
I make this at least once a month for around 12 people. Have gotten nothing but compliments for it.
I think that it could have been better if a can of soup or broth was added, and maybe some more spices. But we didn't starve, so it was ok.
This was a nice filling-but-not-overstuffing dinner, though not particularly memorable to my taste buds. It would probably go on our "easy filling dinner with a variey of ingredients -- make occasionally" list, but our not very picky 3-year-old would not try it, and it wasn't appealing enough to the grownups to be worth putting together a separate kid dinner so we could eat it. But it's worth trying on your own family if you need more easy casserole ideas.