Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a good starter recipe for a young couple; easy to make and tastes great. I got it from a website for freezer recipes -- can't remember which one.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into chunks
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup mild flavored picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 8 (6 inch) tortillas, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- Mix chicken, tomatoes, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, picante sauce, and powder in a bowl.
- Arrange 1/3 of the tortillas to cover the bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Spoon 1/2 of chicken mixture on top of tortillas.
- Arrange last 1/3 of tortillas on top of the mixture.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
So much easier than Mom's! We use 2 cups colby jack and monterrey cheese and add it to the layers plus a whole cup sour cream in the mixture (we don't care about fat) and substitute green salsa for the picante. Oh, and some Cumin to give the chicken a smokey flavor. Canned Rotel tomatoes and canned chicken make it super easy. Add some chopped black olives on top and it's almost like Mom's.
Very easy recipe to put together. I used salsa vs picante sauce, not sure of the difference, so I used what I had. The taste was great. The only reason I am giving it a 3/5 is bc the family had mixed reviews. "It tastes good, not great." "It tastes fine, Mom, but don't make it again" and I thought it was great. Like a previous poster suggested, I mixed everything together then put it together after "marinating" for a couple hours.
One of my family's favourites!! I don't know where your recipe comes from, but mine is from a tiny little coil-bound Campbell's Soup recipe book. Make sure you use corn tortillas for the best flavour!!