There are so many variations of King Ranch Casserole. Mine has no green peppers, onions, or olives. As simple as this is, it's one of DH's most requested meals.
- 4 -5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with lime and cilantro (Rotel)
- 2 cups grated cheese (I use the Fiesta Blend sold at Wal-Mart, a blend of Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla and Asa)
- 12 ounces tortilla chips, crushed
- chopped tomato (optional)
- shredded lettuce (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Place chicken in a Dutch oven with enough water to cover. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. After it has come to a rolling boil, turn off heat. Keep chicken tightly covered and let sit 30 minutes. Remove chicken and shred when cool.
- While chicken is cooking, mix the 2 cans of soups with Rotel.
- In a buttered 13x9x2-inch baking dish, layer half of the crushed chips, half of the cooked chicken, half of the cheese, and half of the soup mixture. Repeat layers, reserving a little cheese and crushed chips for the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, until hot and bubbly. Serve topped with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and sour cream.