Prep 2 hrs 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another trip down Chocolate Lane. Prep time includes chill time.
- 5 tablespoons Kahlua
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 11 -14 ounces prepared poundcake
- In a small saucepan, heat Kahlua over medium heat until mixture starts to have bubbles around the edge, but not boiling.
- Place Kahlua in a blender with chocolate morsels and process until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth (if you find it is too thick, and your morsels are not melting, remove a little and set it in pan to melt somewhat and get warm, then mix that back in, but do not scorch it!).
- Add powdered sugar, egg yolks, and butter, and mix until smooth.
- Place mixture in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate 1 hour or until it becomes thick enough to spread.
- Holding your serrated bread knife parallel to the countertop, slice the pound cake into 6 thin layers (best to do 1 layer at a time, making a little marking with a toothpick so you know where to cut).
- Lay the first layer on a cake plate and top with enough frosting to form a frosting layer about 3/8-inch thick (optional: before putting on frosting you may also add a little Kahlua to the cake- spoon it on lightly, then proceed to frost; be careful though, as you have 6 layers!!!).
- Then cut the second layer and place it on top of the icing and proceed as with the first, etc.
- ,finally finishing with the top, and icing the torte all around.
- Refrigerate the torte at least 1 hour before serving (this helps it hold when being cut into).