Recipe by Maryland Jim
I found this recipe in the Kraft foods "Food & Family" Cook Book that my son gave me. It is so simple to make and used my homemade strawberry jam which really set it apart.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup walnut pieces, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat cream cheese, butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Separate 1 of the eggs; set egg white aside for later use. Add yolk, second whole egg and vanilla to cream cheese mixture; mix well. Gradually add combined flour and baking powder, beating until well blended after each addition.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into 12X1 inch log; place, 2 inches apart, on large baking sheet. Use hand of wooden spoon or fingers to make depression down length of each log, about 1/2 inch wide and 1/2 in deep. Beat reserved egg white with fork; brush over dough. Sprinkle with walnuts. Fill depressions with preserves, using about 3 tablespoons preserves in each log.
- Bake 25 to 27 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer to wire rack; cool slightly. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut each log into 12 diagonal slices.