Recipe by Chef Firegnome
Easy Jalfreezi - has the tastes and aroma of jalfreezi but tame enough for young tongues. We like Indian-style food, but many dishes are too spicy for the kids. This is my own adaptation that keeps everyone happy.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 1 tomatoes
- 1 serrano pepper, diced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown 1 lb ground beef - drain the fat and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix 1 can of tomato paste, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp onion salt, 1 tsp garam masala, mix and set aside.
- Dice one red or green bell pepper and half a large onion.
- Fry peppers and onions in a light coating of cooking oil (just enough to coat the pan) until the onions are translucent.
- Add 1 Tb. minced ginger, 4 cloves minced garlic, 1 tsp garam masala (reserving 1 tsp), 1 tsp cumin, and 1/8 tsp red pepper, pinch of black pepper and stir fry 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add to the skillet 1/2 lb sliced mushrooms, tomato paste mixture and 1 cup of water.
- Mix well and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Return the browned ground beef and add 1 tomato cut into small wedges (you could also put some boiled potato wedges if you like).
- Serve over rice.
- Add diced serrano peppers for spicier taste buds.