Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is easy and just so good! This recipe makes lots. The onions and garlic can be sautéed hours in advance.
- 7 -8 medium zucchini, sliced with skin on
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 medium onions
- 2 -3 fresh minced garlic cloves (or to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, slightly drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- grated parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- Set oven to 375°F.
- Butter a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Place the sliced zucchini evenly in the bottom of the buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle about 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese over the zucchini.
- In a frypan, sauté onions and garlic in oil and butter until just lightly browned and tender.
- Add in tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano and vinegar; heat until boiling, reduce heat and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the zucchini.
- Sprinkle with more grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- *NOTE* 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese may be sprinkled on top the last 10 minutes of baking.
This was pretty good but for my taste needed a little sugar to counteract the acid in the tomatoes and perhaps some cornstarch for thickener, my batch was too runny. Next time will try some mild or medium Italian sausage browned and added to the mix - sounds delicious.
I liked this recipe. I'd cut back on the onion next time as there were way too many. I wonder how it would be with ground beef and maybe noodles to make it more of a complete meal.
I have never made anything quite like this before but it is really fabulous. The whole family ate it up. Made as directed except cut down on the olive oil and eliminated the butter altogether to cut down on fat and I decided to use a balsamic vinegar instead of wine vinegar on a whim. Thanks so much for posting!