This is easy and just so good! This recipe makes lots. The onions and garlic can be sautéed hours in advance.
- 7 -8 medium zucchini, sliced with skin on
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 medium onions
- 2 -3 fresh minced garlic cloves (or to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, slightly drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- grated parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- Set oven to 375°F.
- Butter a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Place the sliced zucchini evenly in the bottom of the buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle about 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese over the zucchini.
- In a frypan, sauté onions and garlic in oil and butter until just lightly browned and tender.
- Add in tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano and vinegar; heat until boiling, reduce heat and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the zucchini.
- Sprinkle with more grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- *NOTE* 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese may be sprinkled on top the last 10 minutes of baking.