Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
When my children are home for the summer they always ask for grilled foods and Italian sausage subs are a great meal for dinners or lunch. Well making 6-8 is easy enough on the grill but then all the friends are here (LOVE THAT) so I need to make enough for 20-30. Came up with this easy way to do sausage and they do taste great.
- 5 lbs Italian sausage, ropes (skin on)
- 8 green peppers, sliced into strips
- 4 vidalia onions, quartered
- 1 cup water
- provolone cheese (optional) or mozzarella cheese (optional)
- put italian sausage ropes in roasting pan large enough to fit amount you are making.
- quarter onions and put on top.
- cut green peppers into strips and throw on top.
- add water.
- cover pan with heavy duty foil and bake for 2 hours at 300 degrees (time varies depending on amount of sausage).
- once done, cut into roll length pieces.
- ***OPTIONAL-at this point I have thrown on a hot grill to put grill marks and sear skins.
- put on nice hoagie rolls, cover with peppers and onions
- (optional)add provolone or mozzerella cheese get a good napkin and enjoy!
- NOTES- easily reduces.
- sausage freezes and reheats well.
- onions and peppers are done fresh.
I have never written a recipe review before, but I had to thank you! This is hands-down the best recipe I've ever found for me to bring to a party. I made it exactly as you suggested, and it was a total crowd pleaser. Even the most Italian of my family members had seconds. What I love about it is that it's so much healthier without all the grease of frying the traditional way, and it is almost impossibly easy. I hope you have more cooking for a crowd suggestions! I'm a fan!
I needed something to go with a polenta dish I was making and thought the sausage, peppers and onions would be the perfect complement to the polenta. I made this as directed, with the addition of tomato sauce. This went very well with the polenta base. Recipenapped for the February 2012 Aus/NZ Swap.
Excellent recipe. Thank you. I tweekes it a little by browning sausage in frypan with sliced garlic before baking in oven.