My Mom made these often when I was growing up and I have always loved them! I think this is the most authentic and traditional way to make these.Traditional Sausage and Peppers do NOT have tomato sauce! We always ate them on Italian sub rolls with mustard but you could eat these alone with good crusty bread on the side. This serves 8 and can easily be scaled down or increased depending on how many you want to feed.
- 8 hot Italian sausages (if you prefer) or 8 italian sweet sausage (if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 large red peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 Italian rolls
- mustard (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan, over medium heat.
- Add the sausages and cook, turning frequently.
- You want them browned all over and this takes about 10 minutes.
- Add the onions and stir up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Then after another 2 minutes, add the peppers, garlic, salt, pepper, and dried oregano.
- After lowering the heat cook for another 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the sausages are cooked through.