Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Not really a traditional calzone, as there is no ricotta cheese or pizza dough in this recipe, but a quick and easy dinner idea, nonetheless. Adapted from menus4moms.com.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large skillet, brown and crumble sausage, pour off fat.
- Add 3/4 cup pasta sauce, mushrooms, green pepper and onion.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, unroll crescent dough and separate into 8 rectangles. Firmly press perforations together and flatten slightly.
- In a small bowl mix egg and water, brush on dough edges.
- Stir cheese into meat mixture.
- Spoon equal amounts of meat mixture onto half of each rectangle to within 1/2 inch of edges. Fold dough over filling. Press to seal edges. Arrange on baking sheet; brush with egg mixture.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat remaining pasta sauce; serve with calzones.
These are very simple and made a great weeknight dinner! I made them with everything except the optional mushrooms. I love the crescent dinner rolls with this. Thanks for sharing!