Prep 13 mins
Cook 45 mins
WONDERFUL flavor, so easy, and LOW FAT! Tastes lightly smoky and very distinctive. Just throw everything in a pot and boil! This soup was so delicious, I felt had to share.
- 1 onion, quartered
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes or 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (29 ounce) can white beans, like canelini
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, not drained
- 30 baby carrots
- 10 baby zucchini (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable soup mix
- 1 -2 frozen crushed garlic cloves or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon course black pepper
- Place all ingredients in 6 quart pot.
- Cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cook 45 minutes (but anywhere from 20 minutes - 1 hour will work).
- Ladle into bowls and serve!
The first time i made this it was delicious (though quite strong) but the 2nd time it didn't work. We in england don't use measurement in cups, so i'm never sure of quantities, and i put too much water in - didn't taste of anything! If you get the quantities right it is good though!
Wanted soup I could make at the last minute with ingreients in my pantry... didn't have canelini, so used garbanzos and kidneys. Didn't use zucchini, either. Came out GREAT--hearty and tasty. Even my fussy kids ate it! But definitely needs to cook longer than 20 min (was too thin at that point). Thanks, Java Chip!
The balsamic vinegar gives the soup a great zing. I used Marsala wine and it tasted delicious. I will definitely make this soup again!