Recipe by LAURIE
Quick to mix and super simple Irish apple cake! I like it as a coffee cake with breakfast, served warm with my maple butter, but you decide.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 3 -4 cooking apples
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 -3 tablespoon milk
- 1 -3 tablespoon granulated sugar (for topping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Grease an 8-inch springform pan.
- Cut wax paper to fit and line the bottom of the pan.
- Sift flour, salt, and ground cloves into a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture has the consistency of fine crumbs.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples.
- Add the apples and sugar to the flour mixture.
- Stir in the eggs and enough milk to leave the dough stiff.
- Turn the dough into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake 45 minutes until crisp and golden in color.
- HINT: The best thing about this Irish dessert recipe is that it is absolutely delicious served either warm or cold. If served warm, consider topping it with heavy cream.