1/1 Photo of Easy Indian-Spiced Braised Chicken
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A friend served this at her house one night and I loved it! I was thrilled when I tried it on my husband and he loved it too! It was terrific to find something new, easy and really different to add to our list of "the usuals". Boneless, skinless breast tenderloins would work well with this if you prefer that to dark meat. Try World Market or Penzeys.com if you have trouble finding the garam masala. The Uncle Ben's microwaveable Ready Rice is a GREAT shortcut and makes this dish easier to take to a potluck or to a friend. I do recommend going with the plain whole grain Ready Rice brown rice versus any of the other Uncle Ben's Ready Rice flavors because it contains much, much less salt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated gingerroot or 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 (8 7/8 ounce) bags microwaveable Uncle Ben's Ready Rice (whole grain brown ready rice)
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Trim fat from thighs then cut meat into chunks.
- 3Add all ingredients EXCEPT yogurt, cilantro, garam masala and rice to heavy, lidded 5-qt pot.
- 4Stir well.
- 5Cover; bake until chicken is tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 6Remove from oven, stir in yogurt, cilantro and garam masala.
- 7Serve over microwaved rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Indian-Spiced Braised Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 263.2
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 145.6 mg
- Sodium 376.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 36.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Uncle Ben's Ready Rice