Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this off a copycat site and have made it many times. It is great in summer as long as you are patient and make it beforehand so it has time to cool and chill. It's a really inexpensive way to make ice tea and works well as long as you use Orange Pekoe Tea bags. It's not half as nice with other flavoured tea bags.
- 3 -4 orange pekoe tea bags (I use Twinnings)
- 2⁄3-3⁄4 cup sugar (I prefer the smaller amount)
- 1⁄3 lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 8 cups water
- Boil water in a pot and add tea bags and allow to steep for one hour.
- Pour into pitcher when cool and add sugar.
- Mix well until dissolved and then add lemon juice.
- Chill and serve.
This was pretty close to the original but I actually like this more than the original. I really enjoyed the flavor of it. Thanks for sharing this one. Recipe was made for Fall PAC 2008.
Just wonderful! needed a good base recipe, and I have never used orange pekoe tea before.
Made as written, tasted, and then doubled the lemon.
Ended up making it 3 days running, everyone was very impressed!
made for Aussie Swap March 2011
Can I just say - THANK YOU! I have been living in the UK for 12 years and one thing that I really miss from the US is Lipton Ice Tea. I used to smuggle the powder mix back with me in my suitcase - now I can save the weight allowance for other things! Don't suppose anyone knows a copycat recipe for Snyder's buffalo wing flavoured pretzel pieces?