1/1 Photo of Easy Hungarian Soup
This is a quick version of Hungarian Soup but it is still as thick, rich, spicy, warming and filling as Hungarian Soup should be! I've been making versions of this soup for 20 years, depending on what I have on hand in the pantry, so don't be afraid to make substitutions or omissions. This is a perfect main-meal soup for lunch on a cold winter's day. Serve it with pumperknickel or rye bread. For a special treat, team it with andypandy's German Onion Pie. (Recipezaar #77687). I don't claim that this is an authentic Hungarian Soup - but I do guarantee that it tastes delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 50 g pepperoni, chopped
- 300 g minced beef (ground beef)
- 1 tablespoon mild paprika
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups beef stock (use 3 1/2 cups if you want this soup to serve 6)
- 1 (410 g) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup sauerkraut, excess moisture squeezed out,then chopped
- 1In a large saucepan or stockpot, heat oil then cook onions over a medium heat until soft and transparent.
- 2Add pepperoni and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- 3Add mince and cook, stirring, until the meat is just coloured.
- 4Add paprika and caraway seeds and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 5Add flour, stir well and cook for 1 minute before removing saucepan from heat.
- 6Slowly stir in beef stock, scraping up any bits from the base of the saucepan.
- 7Add canned tomatoes (including their juice), red wine, and fresh, diced tomatoes.
- 8Return saucepan to heat and bring the soup to a boil.
- 9Reduce heat and add sauerkraut.
- 10Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes before serving.
- 11May be served with a dollop of sour cream, if desired, but it's a pity to dilute the strong taste of this soup.
- 12(This makes a fairly salty soup, so use reduced salt beef stock if this is an issue for you).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Hungarian Soup
Serving Size: 1 (407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 664.1
- Calories from Fat 404
- Total Fat 44.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 126.0 mg
- Sodium 2239.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 32.9 g