Recipe by Ducky
I got this recipe from a Greek appetizer class I took right before the Athens Olympics. We all adored this hummus and it is so simple to prepare.
Top Review by Leah947
I am of Greek heritage, and I can tell you that this is very authentic. I am passing this on to my friends for sure. It has the perfect combination of flavors. I like to use it as a dip with some Triscuits or as a spread over a piece of bread for a healthy snack.
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1⁄4 cup ground almonds
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2⁄3 cup regular plain yogurt (approx 6 oz)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- olive oil, to garnish (optional)
- cayenne pepper, to garnish (optional)
- pita bread, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast cumin seeds in small skillet until aromatic.
- Reserve a few cumin seeds for garnish.
- Place remaining cumin seeds in food processor (or blender) along with chickpeas, ground almonds, garlic, yogurt, olive oil, mint, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Process to form slightly grainy paste, or to desired consistency.
- Transfer to serving dish and let stand 30 minutes.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cayenne pepper and remaining cumin seeds.
- Serve with pita bread wedges.